You are cordially invited to a lecture by Professor Ewa Chojecka PhD hab., entitled ‘The Architecture of Evangelical Churches in Upper Silesia 1945-2017’.
Professor Ewa Chojecka, with her usual intuitiveness and masterful precision, again touches upon an important and, to date, unexplored topic. She identifies that between the post-war period and the present day, despite all manner of adversity, new sacred buildings – Evangelical churches – have been built in Upper Silesia, mainly in Cieszyn Silesia. She undertakes a chronological review and description of them and presents them against a background of political, economic, cultural and artistic transformation. She simultaneously perceives the enormous cultural capital that they constitute and their role in shaping the identity and social bonds of the inhabitants of Upper Silesia.
The lecture is a presentation of selected aspects of a book by prof. Ewa Chojecka with the same title: The Architecture of Evangelical Churches in Upper Silesia 1945-2017
Professor Ewa Chojecka PhD hab. is an art historian. She was the founder and long-term head of the Faculty of Art History at the University of Silesia in Katowice. She is the author of numerous studies on the art of Upper Silesia and the architecture of the 19th and 20th centuries. The essential work The Art of Upper Silesia – from the Middle Ages to the end of the 20th century was written under her guidance. She works in collaboration with the Institute of Architecture Documentation at the Silesian Library.
The lectures are held on the YouTube channel of the Institute of Architecture Documentation at the Silesian Library