We cordially invite you to a lecture by Marek Panuś entitled ‘The new face of Tarnowskie Góry architecture in the interwar period’.
The interwar period in the history of Tarnowskie Góry was a time of many important changes. The town found itself inside the Polish border for the first time. In terms of expansion the railways superseded the mining industry and the number of inhabitants increased significantly. Buildings from that time are an eloquent testimony to these developments. These buildings, erected in a modernist style, were usually designed by local architects. New investments were mainly concentrated in the suburbs, but some of them were also completed within the historic centre. The most numerous constructions were private villas, the most interesting examples of which can be seen on Wyszyńskiego and Wyspiańskiego streets. The so-called ‘park school’, the most cherished public building of those times, was built at the junction of these streets and designed in the spirit of functionalism.
Marek Panuś completed his Batchelor’s and Master’s degrees in history at the University of Opole and postgraduate studies in art history at the University of Silesia in Katowice. He is a lecturer at the Faculty of Education and Promotion of the Museum in Tarnowskie Góry. His research interests focus on issues concerning the history and cultural heritage of Tarnowskie Góry and Upper Silesia. He is the author of publications which include The Mother of Upper Silesian churches. The Evangelical parish in Tarnowskie Góry 1742–1945, exhibitions such as ‘Return of the Prince. Franz von Lenbach, Portrait of Guido Henckel von Donnersmarck’) and educational projects which include ‘The new face of Tarnowskie Góry architecture in the interwar period’.
The lectures are on the YouTube channel of the Institute of Architecture Documentation at the Silesian Library.